The HCB Award is dedicated to photographers of all nationalities who have already completed a significant body of work, close to the documentary approach. There is no age limit. The winner must use the prize to carry out a project which could not be achieved without this grant in the current conditions of his/her activity.
- Candidates must be nominated by an institution which supports their application. Individual applications without nomination will not be considered. Museums, photography societies, photographers’ agencies, art schools, universities, galleries, magazines or publishers are entitled to support a candidate.
- The winner commits to the exhibition of his/her artwork, in spring 2023. A book will be published in collaboration with her/him. The HCB Award exhibition may circulate and will be returned to her/him. The winner should not exhibit nor publish the entirety nor parts of the artwork completed thanks to the HCB Award before its exhibition at the Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson, and without the latter’s formal consent. The Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson must be informed of the HCB Award project advancements.
- The winner commits to complete his/her artwork project before September 2022 at the latest.
- The winner commits to transfer the rights of reproduction, exploitation and diffusion of fifteen visuals to the Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson and the Fondation d’entreprise Hermès, for the promotion of the HCB Award and its exhibition, according to the following :
– five visuals free of rights to announce the HCB Award winner;
– ten visuals chosen at the time of the exhibition.
- The winner commits to donate three signed and unframed artworks to the Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson, and two artworks to the Fondation d’Entreprise Hermès.
- The winner commits to sign a contract with the Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson, which resumes the above agreements, at the time of the HCB Award ceremony.
- The winner remains the entire owner of his/her work, to the reservation that the mention of the HCB Award and the support of the Fondation d’entreprise Hermès must be made for future exhibitions and/or publications.
- Uncomplete applications will not be considered. The Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson cannot be held responsible in case of deterioration or loss of the application files. Candidates and institutions commit not to claim for compensations should elements of the application files be altered or lost.
The application submission implies the full acceptation of all conditions stated by the general regulation of the HCB Award.